May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month!
People of any age can benefit from regular physical activity. While you may know that exercise is good for your health and wellbeing, finding time in the day for fitness can be difficult. Schedules get busy between work, family, household activities, it can sometimes seem like an impossible feat on a never ending to-do list. The key to fitting in fitness is making it convenient and attainable.
Here are 12 ideas to help fit fitness into your daily life:
- Wake up 30 minutes earlier than usual to go for a walk or use an exercise video. Try getting to bed earlier to make up for the time.
- Schedule your workouts into your day. PHYSICALLY schedule the time into your planner. Make it a priority just like your other appointments.
- Park in the back of the parking lot when going to work or running errands.
- Take stairs instead of elevators when possible.
- Break up your exercise into 15 minutes segments that can be spread throughout the day. 150 minutes of moderate or 75 minutes of vigorous activity is recommended per week. This can be broken up into segments throughout the week.
- Perform your chores at a faster pace than usual. This will get your heart rate up. Outdoor chores such as raking, mowing the launch, and gardening can be great exercise.
- Exercise while watching TV. Jumping jacks, weights, resistance bands and stretching are all things you can do while watching television.
- Hit the streets on your lunch break and grab a coworker to join you.
- Get active as a family. Go for a walk together, visit the park, or go for a bike ride.
- Don’t forget about your furry little friends. Take your pets out for a walk that will benefit you both.
- Do you love to play sports? Sign up for a recreational team.
- Purchase a pedometer and strive to take 10,000 steps per day.